Thursday, March 8, 2007

Colorado Duck Stamp entry


Each year I try to enter a few duck stamp competitions. My first entry in 2007 is to the Colorado Duck Stamp Contest. I have never entered this competition before but the subject matter this year was too tempting to pass up. The Division of Wildlife selected hooded mergansers (one male and one female) in a Colorado setting and the painting to the left is what I came up with. I focused on the movement of the water to help move the viewer's eye from bird to bird and throughout the painting. These ducks are commonly found on rivers and streams during the cold winter months. I submitted the painting last Friday and should find out the results of the competition by early April. Duck stamp competitions are difficult to win because every artist submits the same species and each artist is very talented! With this painting I was really trying to be different and stand apart from other entries.

No comments: