Friday, March 16, 2007

Back from Arizona

I just got back from a trip to the desert with my son, nephew and sister. We took in some Spring Training games and made a trip to the zoo. I got some great desert reference photos and some incredible shots from the Phoenix Zoo. I do use captive animals as reference sometimes - it is awfully hard to see an animal like a bobcat in the wild (although I have) and get a sketch done or photo taken. They are so secretive and very shy. Mountain lions are the same way. Zoos provide a great place to study these animals and learn their anatomy. However, an artist has to be careful not to include the body structure of a captive animal though. Wild animals are very lean and muscular.


In regards to Spring Training, the games were a blast! I have been both a player (high school and a little college) and a coach (varsity) in the past and have a passion for the game. The atmosphere in Arizona is incredible for baseball - major league baseball in beautiful minor league size parks! My son and my nephew were able to get autographs and eat a lot of cotton candy. If you ever get a chance to catch a game in Arizona - grab the opportunity. It's a lot of fun...

No comments: